Let’s face it, life is no bed of roses, at least not for everyone. You may have had your share of accomplishments, but there will be times when you just won’t “feel up to it”. In fact, it’s not uncommon for even some of the most confident individuals to feel dejected and low at one point or another. That said, you can easily increase your motivation through some basic practices which are as follows:
5 Ways to Get Motivated When You’re Feeling Low
1. Find a Stronger Purpose
It can be hard to find motivation when you don’t have a strong purpose to drive it. So, if you not feeling the enthusiasm and willingness to achieve your goals, then maybe you can reflect on your purpose. A lot of times, people create a goal that’s either vague or impractical but the thing is that no amount of motivation can help you when your goals are either of these. Otherwise, if your purpose is weak, then also you can face troubles achieving your goals. For instance, if you want to buy an expensive car just to make someone jealous, then it’s possible that you will fail in the endeavor. This is because, in this goal, you are focusing on someone else rather than yourself. Only when your goal has a direct effect on you, you can feel true and strong motivation.
2. Read Books
Books offer priceless information and knowledge that can help you at every stage of your life. Many books are also full of motivational stories and anecdotes that can provide unique perspectives on life. So, reading material like this can give you the encouragement and motivation you need to accomplish your goals and face the challenges of life with limited resistance.
If you are looking for suggestions for some of the best motivational and inspiring books, then the following are a few that you can check out:
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Written by Dr. Covey, this book will teach you how you can change your habits and find a new purpose in life.
- The Alchemist: If you don’t want a typical self-help book, then this one can prove to be both fun and inspiring. It will show how important it’s to listen to your intuition and follow your heart even when times are tough.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People: The title is pretty much self-explanatory. It highlights some of the most basic yet important things that you must get right and pay attention to if you want to grow your professional and personal network and take a step closer to success.
3. Get a Dopamine Boost
Dopamine is a naturally-occurring chemical, a neurotransmitter found in brain that regulates your emotional responses and physical movements. When you are feeling demotivated, then increasing the dopamine level in your brain can reverse the effect and turn the frown upside down.
The following are some of the ways you can increase the dopamine levels naturally:
- Eat Chocolate: Dark chocolate has numerous benefits for your health. It increases both dopamine and serotonin which helps your body to become calm. In fact, you may also experience an anti-depression effect as the chemicals found in the delicious brown treat up your happiness levels.
- Try Online Casinos: Video games and casino games work on the same principle- they provide you a challenge or a puzzle, and when you solve one, you feel a rush of adrenaline and positivity. For instance, you can check out this Indian website to find some of the most fun and unique casino games like poker, blackjack, rummy, etc. along with sports betting games. Playing these games may not just cheer you up, but they may also get you motivated as you will surely win at least a few of the rounds.
- Exercise: Many studies have found a connection between physical exercise and happiness. So, by exercising regularly, you can give a boost to the production of new brain cells and increase your levels of dopamine.
4. Get a Buddy
Like most things in life, achieving something is a lot easier when you have support from a friend. So, let’s say that you want to become fit in 3 months. You can create an exercise schedule, diet plan, etc. and start following it. However, there might be times when you may want to give in to temptation and laziness. But what if you have a friend who also wants to become fit and joins you in the journey? When you both are working towards the same goal, then one person can nudge the other in the right direction if they start to swerve in the wrong direction.
5. Spend Time in Nature
Spending 15-30 minutes in a lush park or garden can elevate your mood and give the encouragement you need to get going. It’s a scientifically proven fact and it works for everyone! Go try it!
Everyone has their share of bleak days in their lives. However, nothing is permanent. Whether it’s good days or bad days, they will pass eventually. If you will keep this thought in mind and take steps to manage your mental health, you will be able to live a fulfilling and rewarding life easily.